Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ashley

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to go through the temple with the family of a very dear friend of mine who was killed in a car crash a year ago June 9th. My heart aches for this family as I try to imagine how it would feel to lose a child. One of a father's 2 children, a brother's little sister, a mother's only daughter, and a fiance's sweetheart, Ashley was a great friend to everyone she met and could always make you laugh. It was a bitter sweet situation, one I had never experienced before. A wonderful and happy occasion knowing she is on the other side finally enjoying the blessing of being endowed in the temple. But sad and heartbreaking to know that she wasn't able to experience in her short life herself.
My first night in Fountain Green was spent on her basement floor. Not knowing a soul my parents shipped us off to Girl's Camp for our soon to be ward. Her Mom, Denice, was in the Young Women's presidency. Talk about being thrown into an experience. Our friendship took off from there. I always get a little teary eyed thinking of her, missing her silly jokes, and the great times we had skipping class, or having a lazy day on a porch swing, waiting for our latest interests to drive by. I get choked up hearing a certain song or two that was one of our favorites to sing in the car. Thinking of her, even after all this time still hurts, but it a good hurt, if that makes any sense. My mom described it as healing and I think it fits well.
I just felt the need to put my feelings out there and to honor her and the wonderful person that she was in this life and still is on the other side. Love you and miss you Marge

6 comments:

ShEiLa said...

That was a sweet tribute to a dear friend. I have done the same thing in the past.

My mother wrote some really cool things in her journal 29 years ago... about the Logandale YW accident way back when... you should read it. If you have time.[http://elaineheywoodmurry.blogspot.com/2009/06/from-elaines-journal.html]

ToOdLeS.

Andrea said...

Love you, Gelic. And love you too Ashley!!! I'm so happy you got to go through the temple with her family. I'm only beginning to grasp the blessings avaliable to us from the temple and I'm looking forward to going through myself in the next few months. As heartbreaking as it was to lose Ashley, I'm so glad that we know that she's okay and in a better place and has another Daddy watching over her. Love you both!

Jake and Cheryl said...

Wow I can't believe its been a year already. I think about her all the time and some times I swear I see her and then I take a second look and its not her. I miss her so much! Our friendship faded away the last couple of years but she still had a special spot in my heart. I love the memories I have of her. I'm so glad you got to go with her family for her.

Nate and Felicia said...

It was a pretty amazing experience and you could deffinitely feel her presence there. You know she is happy but you still ache for her family. Thanks for writing about it, I wanted to myself, but I am not good at expressing my feeling by writing like you are. Thanks Gelic. I miss her dearly and I often have similar moments as you described. Love you!

The Burns said...

Angelica this was so sweet! Ashley was an amazing girl, and she is very missed!

Brandon and Amanda Brady said...

I was so sad when I found out about Ashley a year or so ago. My heart goes out to her family as well. She was a great girl, and an awesome cousin. Thanks for posting this.